How to build an audience? It’s not easy. But over the years I’ve stumbled across some principles that seem to work.
- Find where your audience already is. What is the average type of person that would like your stuff already gathered around?
- Show them that you can offer what they need or are attracted to.
- Encourage them to interact with each other around your project.
- Offer things of value to them at no cost.
- Be consistently engaged or the audience will fade and the project will die.
- Keep grinding until you reach a tipping point.
- Sometimes there’s a catalysis that speeds things up. A person or event that brings you attention in one big moment. But you can’t manufacture it or predict if that will happen.
- Repeat steps 1-6 over and over.
There’s still no guarantee of success, but in general this seems to be pretty solid.